Magpie Falls (Serge is on the right)

Magpie Falls (Serge is on the right)
Aug. 3, 2010

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Day 66 Another Picture Perfect Day (Lower Barney’s River NS, Lake Ainslie, NS)

As the title says, another picture perfect day for riding. Today’s route was 103 miles long with some good climbs and took us on to Cape Breton Island at the northern tip of Nova Scotia.

Before heading off the mainland, I took a quarter mile side trip through the woods to see a cairn erected to commemorate some Scotsmen who survived the Battle of Culloden in 1746 and immigrated to Nova Scotia shortly afterwards. On my way back to the road, I was quite surprised to see one other rider who decided to make the pilgrimage to the cairn.

Once on Cape Breton, we started climbing again. I managed to break another rear drive-side spoke, with 40 miles to go, but my wheel remained true enough to keep riding. Once back in camp I fixed my wheel, and also the real wheels of two other riders who had also broken rear spokes. It seems that I am getting pretty good at this if I say so myself…



After dinner we were treated to yet another spectacular sunset.
We are all anxiously watching the weather since the remnants of Hurricane Earl are predicted to be blowing through the Gulf of Saint Lawrence at approximately the same time as our 14 hour ferry ride to Newfoundland. My bet is that with all the luck we have had so far weather-wise, it will skip us. If not we’ll see what happens...

Tomorrow is a very hilly day of riding up the North Eastern side of Cape Breton. Off to bed now as we have 85 miles to ride.

I am not sure what the internet access will be like over the next few days so this may be my last posting until I return to New Jersey next Monday.

1 comment:

  1. Hoping Hurricane Earl misses the Gulf of St. Lawrence so your ferry ride will not be delayed. Enjoy the beauty of the Cabot Trail. I enjoyed your blog and all your great pictures of your journey. Thanks for sharing your trip. Ride safely. Terri

    ReplyDelete