Magpie Falls (Serge is on the right)

Magpie Falls (Serge is on the right)
Aug. 3, 2010

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Day 42 - Killing the Fatted Calf (Manitowaning, ON - Wiarton, ON)

Today, I rode a modified route from the planned "rest day" of Manitowaning to Tobermory.  I have a good friend, Jack, with a cottage 45 miles south of Tobermory (on route), who graciously offered me a warm dry  bed and a home cooked dinner and breakfast if I was willing to ride the extra 45 miles after Tobermory.  How could I resist?

"The Big Canoe"
For the past few hundred miles of riding, we have seen signs advertising "The Big Canoe" ferry service from Manitoulin Island to Tobermory.

The day started off with one of our few "time pressures" since late June - we had to be at the ferry crossing "the gap" between Lake Huron and Georgian Bay in time for the 9:10 A.M. sailing.   This meant no warm breakfast in camp, and being on the road no later than 7:00 A.M. for the 22 mile ride to South Beymouth.

We packed up our soaking wet tents (it was in the low 40s last night and the condensation on our tent flys was wetter than any rainy day) and were out on the road as planned, but were the last riders to leave camp.  Once we hit the main road, Serge and I put down a blistering pace (20 mph average, including the leisurely 1.5 mile ride out to the main road at the start) for a pace-line ride to the ferry.  Over the 20 miles, we managed to pass every rider who had left earlier, with the exception of Dan and Shirley.  It helped to know that at the end of the hour we could get a big breakfast followed by a two hour rest waiting for, and riding the ferry.  It was a great breakfast at the end and a great "team time trial" (three other riders joined us as we passed everyone) to start off the day.

Clear Sailing
The ferry ride was a wonderful cruise, again another day with spectacular weather offering great views of Lake Huron to the west and Georgian Bay to the east.

Boy's Bikes
At the Bruce Peninsula side, Jack had ridden his motorcycle up to the ferry to greet me.  When I got off the ferry, some of my fellow riders advised me that I was taking my life in my own hands when I leaned my bike up against one of the many motorcycles parked on the side of the road.  They eased up when I explained that I knew the owner (how many other people in the area would own a Triumph with Georgia plate "N8VCDN"), and he would only maim me, not kill me if  I happened to scratch it.

It was great seeing him, and getting his road report for the ride to the cottage (lots of construction, some yet to be resurfaced, but ground down pavement, some lane closures with one-way alternating traffic).  We departed Tobermory at the same time, and I arrived at the cottage about two hours him - another blistering pace just shy of 20 mph, with a stop for a double scoop of Ice Cream in Lion's Head about half way.  It helped that I was advised earlier that Jack was planning to kill the fatted calf for me for dinner - thanks Nancy!

The Fatted Calf
At the cottage, which is on the shore of Colpoys Bay, I was treated to a nice warm shower, real cotton towels, a very relaxing afternoon (I arrived shortly after 2 P.M.) and an amazing home cooked meal, complete with boiled corn and homemade bread.  Spoiled would be an understatement of how I felt,

Editor's note: I am writing this in the dry, warm comfort of the dining room at the cottage with a great view of Colpoys Bay out the window.  It is 9:40 and I was served a great breakfast and had my first morning shower (the warm indoor kind) since leaving Vancouver in late June. Early this morning a series of powerful thunderstorms came through the area dropping a couple of inches of rain in a short period of time.  I was just thinking yesterday that we had yet to have to pack our gear and tents during a major rain.  With my luck, I may not have that experience to write about during the trip.

Serge and Pierre Alain plan to meet me here at around noon for my "rest day" - it is just under 40 miles to our camp in Owen Sound this evening.  If the skies clear up, Jack has suggested we ride along the top of the Niagara escarpment because the views are much better than from the planned route along the shore.

1 comment:

  1. Shouldn't this have been entitled "Eating the fatted calf --- and everything else in sight"?

    ReplyDelete