Magpie Falls (Serge is on the right)

Magpie Falls (Serge is on the right)
Aug. 3, 2010

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Day 4 - Rest Day at the Laundromat

Last night was our coolest so far, but after a good day of climbing, I slept soundly - I opted not to check out the local nightlife as I was pretty beat from the ride.  The morning began early once again with the sun coming through the little window in my tent. 

After a coffee at the truck, it was then off into town to find the laundromat.  At the laundromat, we learned that Merritt, where we are staying, is the Country Music Capital of Canada.  The walls were adorned with photos of many famous, and many not so famous stars. I could only imagine many years ago seeing someone like Reba McEntyre standing in front of one of the machines doing a load of laundry.

My wash was one load - mainly all my bike clothes which I have used since arriving out west.  They came out of the washing machine fairly dry so I opted to use the Green dryer back at the campsite (the chain link fence behind out tents).   With a consistent wind blowing, I felt that it was a wise, and economical decision, untill I realized that the only clothes pegs which I bought at the hardware store cost the equivalent of 5 dryer loads.  I expect that I will recoup my investment on future rest (wash) days as we make our way east.






The effect of all the cyclists hanging their colorful clothing along the fence reminded me of pictures I have seen of Tibetan prayer flags in the Himalayas.  You can get a perspective of the effect by watching my little video on YouTube.

I will need to clean all the grit from the past three days of riding off my bike this afternoon - the two bike stands for repairs have been in constant use since we arrived yesterday. 

Our ride tomorrow is 91 miles with a "detour" through Kamloops that involves a 2 mile climb followed by a fun downhill.  I expect that we will be having a Canada Day celebration in camp, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment