Magpie Falls (Serge is on the right)

Magpie Falls (Serge is on the right)
Aug. 3, 2010

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day 20 – Odds and Ends (Regina Rest Day)

Today was a “rest” day which, on the Tour, means that you get to keep your tent in one spot for two nights in a row. I got my laundry done before breakfast and had scouted out a truck stop last night for today’s breakfast. To give you a perspective on how much we are eating every day, I’ll make an attempt to list my consumption for today.


A “typical” daily calorie consumption is:

- two eggs, 5 slices of bacon, hash browns, 4 slices of whole wheat toast, 3 cups coffee (with lots of sugar)

- a Double Big Mac (1/2 lb beef), large fries, large iced coffee

- large ice cream cone, candy bar and soda

- large order of fajitas, lots of beer

on the next rest day, I plan to take a photo log of our daily intake.

After breakfast we rode into Regina to visit the local bike shop, a stop in at the post office to mail Eric his 22nd birthday present, the RCMP Heritage Museum, McD’s for a late lunch, and the Saskatchewan Legislature Building before heading back to the campsite for dinner. All in all on the “rest” day we logged 32 miles of riding. The RCMP museum was pretty neat and provided a complete history of the evolution of the force when 300 mounted policemen were originally commissioned in the late 19th century to protect and ensure law and order for a territory roughly the size of the US west of the Mississippi, to current day. The Saskatchewan Legislature building is pretty amazing, it is second largest Provincial Legislature building (next to Manitoba) and has amazing columns of Cypriot marble - All in all well worth the visit.








For my biking friends in NJ I thought I’d give a current tally of non-mileage events:

- 5 flat tires (none of which stranded me as the sealant in the tubeless tires provided me with enough pressure to make it into camp) – this is quite high for 1,500 miles of riding. The flats have been either sidewall cuts or tire cuts caused by all the debris on the shoulders on which we ride.

- 1 broken and replaced front derailleur cable – it frayed and broke right at the top of the cable making for a somewhat difficult replacement

- countless chain cleanings and lubing and derailleur adjustments (pretty much every 2nd day).

That said, my bike is faring well and has not caused me any problems at all.

Kudos to Jesse for a great set-up on my bike – no major pains at all and few minor ones that are expected with the daily mileage I am logging…

No comments:

Post a Comment