Magpie Falls (Serge is on the right)

Magpie Falls (Serge is on the right)
Aug. 3, 2010

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day 3 - Illusions of Grandeur



Today marked the first day of climbing and after two days of riding in the Fraser River Valley, a trip up to the summit if the Coquihalla Pass at 4,081 feet and then a descent down to our campsite and first rest day in Merritt. 

Serge, Pierre-Alain and I decided that we would form the "EFM Club" (Every F^&*%ng Mile) so to start the day we headed downhill, back into Hope to climb the section of the route that we missed yesterday in taking the scenic Kettle Valley Railway Tunnels.  After the 13 mile detour and 500' of climbing at the end, we started the 23-mile climb up towards Merrit, 68 miles away.

Despite a couple of mile-long sections with an 8% and 9% grade, I found that the most difficult part of the route was the long slog of 2%-4% grades in the first ten miles of the climb.  With the mountains rising 2,000 - 3,000 feet on either side of the highway, despite climbing, one had the visual perception of a nice descent.  These "false flats" played mind games on us.  Our eyes were telling us that the ride should be an easy, fast downhill, but our legs, heart and speedometer were telling us something different.  I even got off the bike a few times to see if my brake was rubbing, as I felt like I was having a very bad day as I couldn't seem to generate any speed "descending".  Relief, of sorts, finally came after checking the altitude on my bike computer, which told me I was climbing. 

The weather was variable, cloudy and in the mid-50s up to the top of the pass, and in sunny and in the mid-70s as we descended into the interior of BC.








As usual, the views were spectacular as we climbed to a high point of 4,081' with snow on the mountains only about 600' above us.








The pay-off for all that climbing and mental anguish was a 18-mile descent - I am including the route profile to give my cycling friends in New Jersey a perspective on the day.


We arrived in camp and our first "Rest Day" tomorrow, to a howling wind, which made setting up the tent rather interesting.  I had to secure it to a chain-link fence to make sure it didn't get blown all the way to Banff.

Here is a shot of the campsite to give you all a perspective of what we do after our day's riding.
They have set up a "Beer Fund" ($2.50 per ice cold beer) with all the profits used to fund a Pizza Party on the evening before we set sail to Newfoundland.  Judging from all the carbohydrates being replaced after the days efforts, I expect that there will be plenty of Pizza in Nova Scotia.

I have logged some 328 miles since the Tour started with the trip to Victoria last Thursday, and have loved every minute of it, but am looking forward to the well-earned rest day tomorrow,  during which we will do much needed laundry, probably ride about 30 miles touring the area, and have planned for a BBQ at the campsite tomorrow evening.



1 comment:

  1. Hope it doesn't get too hot in the valleys ahead of you. I've seen it 38C in Pemberton, on the other side of the mountain from Whistler.

    ReplyDelete