Magpie Falls (Serge is on the right)

Magpie Falls (Serge is on the right)
Aug. 3, 2010

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Day 19 – Civilization (Craik – Regina SK)

After a rather intense thunderstorm in the middle of the night, intense being an understatement, we woke to overcast skies and a northwesterly wind - another tailwind for our ride into the capital of Saskatchewan, Regina.


One thing that they did not mention for the ride was that when the Glaciers retreated from Saskatchewan some 14,000 years ago, they left a glacial silt for the soil. This is great for growing wheat, canola, and flax, but not so great for camping – especially after rain. The term for this in the east is mud.

It is the stickiest, most invasive mud I have ever experienced, and not very friendly to the bike cleats on the soles of my bike shoes. These are designed for a precise fit into my pedals. Needless to say, before the start of today’s ride, and seemingly whenever I put my feet on the “ground” during yesterday’s ride, a thorough cleaning was necessary. Here is a shot of my shoes shortly before cleaning them this morning. I know my cycling friends in New Jersey will look at this in shock.












Today’s scenery was basically the same as yesterday, except that we were riding on the shoulder of the main road between Saskatoon and Regina, so the traffic was fairly busy – luckily for the most part we had a good shoulder to ride on (unlike some spots in the Rockies).

Tomorrow is a rest day, and the campsite has great showers (a full 8 minutes of hot water for a Loonie - unlike some of the other campsites with only cold water – Brrrr!) No immediate plans as of yet but a hearty breakfast and laundry are top on the list.

With all the riding and eating I have been doing, I was not sure if I was losing any weight in the process. After my shower I tried on some pants which I had not worn for two weeks, and the waist seems to be at least 2” larger. It is hard to understand that given the amount of food we are eating and the frequency of our meals. I am beginning to wonder what I will look like in 4 weeks – maybe I will need a new belt!

TdC mileage since arriving in Vancouver is 1,500.



1 comment:

  1. Hey Bill, My name is Rennie Young, my sis Mary is on the ride with you:) My claim to biking fame is doing Vancouver to Austin Texas last Oct. with the Give to Live org. for Cancer meeting up with Lance Armstrong event. Question about your stats above: are they in KMS or Miles? I talked with Mary today by phone, she is doing great considering the weather you guys have had to deal with!! Keep up the great work! I hope to drive to NB towards the last few days of the Tour on that rest day, so hope I can meet and say hi and congrats? Cheers - Rennie

    ReplyDelete