Magpie Falls (Serge is on the right)

Magpie Falls (Serge is on the right)
Aug. 3, 2010

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Day 5 - It's Canada Day, up Canada Way

Last night was the coldest so far with temperatures in the low 40s.  Our ride today was 91 miles with an optional (longer) loop into Kamloops (the Kamloops loop) which involved a 2 mile climb and then a great descent into Kamloops.  The road to Kamloops took us along a couple of  ten-mile long lakes with some great views. 

The scenery today was quite different from the previous days, with grazing pastures running up the sides of the roads, and lots of cattle.  I saw my 2nd and 3rd deer of the trip and an eagle diving into one of the lakes to catch a fish.

One of the neatest views was a herd of horses and one mule grazing up hill from the road.
The wildflowers were in full bloom providing a splash of color ("Hand me your lupens!") every now and then.
The funniest part of today's ride was when I stopped after a 5 mile downhioll run into Kamloops to get a picture of me (with my bike decked out for Canada Day in front of the "Welcome to Kamloops" sign.  I was riding alone at the time so to get the photo I had to put my little camera on the little tripod, set the timer on the camera , and set the tripod on the ground. 

I wanted to have my bike in the picture so I laid it in the shoulder about 20 feet in front of me.  There I was lying on the shoulder, well off the road and looking through the viewfinder of my camera so that I could get the right framing for the shot.  I pressed the button, and ran up to my bike for the picture.  As I was lying on the ground trying to frame the shot, a truck coming down the hill saw a cyclist lying on the side of the road with a bike about 20 feet past. Seeing this, they had assumed a crash and pulled over to see if I was all right, just as I hopped up on my feet for the photo.

 That is the truck on the left of the picture, given their act of kindness, I didn't have the heart to crop it out of the photo.

Need to sign off now so I don't miss out on dinner, and I also need to figure out how to get the left justify to work in the paragraph formastting.



1 comment:

  1. Bill

    Only you would go to such great lengths to get the shot!
    The postings are great. Ride safe and keep moving east.

    ReplyDelete