Magpie Falls (Serge is on the right)

Magpie Falls (Serge is on the right)
Aug. 3, 2010

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Bike to Work - the Commuter Challenge

Last week I answered one of life's great mysteries: How do you participate in "Bike to Work" week when you work from home?
For the answer see this YouTube Video...


This morning I was the only "solely human powered" entrant in a "Bike to Work Commuter Challenge" which pitted 3 modes of transport against each other in an early morning commute from Madison NJ to Morristown.
A cyclist with a folding bike traveling on the NJ Transit train, an all electric Chevy Volt (first time I had seen this car 0 really neat!) and me riding my bicycle the 5.2 mile distance.
The clear winner, as predicted by me earlier in the week, was the train/cyclist as the challenge began from the train station, when the train stopped at the station platform.  He finished his journey in 12 minutes.
Second was the Chevy Volt (which passed me about 2 miles into the ride) finishing in just over 15 minutes.
Despite being held up behind a school bus and hitting a bunch of red lights, I finished in 19 minutes - per the timer on my GPS.  I was very pleased with my performance and didn't really break a sweat in the ride.
Here is what the paper reported...

A perfect day for cycling - sunny skies, low 80°s... I ended up going down to Califon mid-day to help capture video footage of the route for this August's Gran Fondo NJ., and distributed a bunch of flyers for my new bike touring company...

Tomorrow we are off to cycle around Manhattan in New York City visiting 11 major bike shops to market both the Gran FOndo and my NYC to Montreal Bike Tours...

The weather once again looks perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment