Magpie Falls (Serge is on the right)

Magpie Falls (Serge is on the right)
Aug. 3, 2010

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Day 70 – Crossing the Gulf (North Sydney, NS – Argentia, NL)

Fog in the gulf
Today was basically a rest day aboard the ferry. Apparently fog is typical weather for the Gulf of Saint Lawrence, and we were not disappointed. I had booked a bunk on board and made good use of it. It was interesting trying to sleep as slight rocking if the boat made for an uneasy queasiness – thankfully the Gravol worked.

I spent a fair bit of time on the upper deck enjoying the fog and cool breezes and fog which shrouded everything.

Clear Skies over Newfoundland
Once we arrived near the Newfoundland shore, things cleared up and made for some great pictures. I had not worn the pants which I chose to wear for the ferry ride since leaving BC, and it became quiote apparent how much weight I have lost.  They seem to have grown two sizes at least!!!

Our 10th Province
Riding today was a scant 3 miles - basically from the ferry to the campsite with a slight detour to the “Welcome to Newfoundland” photo op, and a quick side trip to the tourist office for a Provincial roadmap.

It is now just shy of 9:00 P.M. Newfoundland time (which is 90 minutes ahead of EDT) and it looks like we will be feeling the Eastern edge of Hurricane Earl tonight - the winds are fairly strong, and it smells like rain.  At least that will give the camp gear a "pre-rinse" before we finish things tomorrow and fly back home on Monday.
I suspect with everything happening tomorrow evening (celebration dinner, goodbyes to the friends I have made over the past 10 weeks, disassembling and packing my bike and camp gear, etc. etc.) my next blog posting will be from New Jersey.

It has been an amazing ride, all 5,420 miles of it, and a wonderful but surprisingly short summer.

Off to my tent beforee it blows away - Cheers!!!

2 comments:

  1. So glad to see that Hurricane Earl has not delayed your crossing to Argentia. Congratulations on a wonderful summer adventure. I've enjoyed reading your blog so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I just read Mary's updated Blog to see a couple of pics of the finish on Signal Hill! Just wanted to say that it was great meeting you in NB with my sister Mary. What a great summer adventure you have had! Wish I had been there! Cheers and good luck!

    ReplyDelete